PEPFAR Role & Response
At the 2017 United Nations General Assembly, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson launched the PEPFAR Strategy for Accelerating HIV/AIDS Epidemic Control (2017-2020). This Strategy reaffirms the U.S. government’s leadership and commitment, through PEPFAR, to support HIV/AIDS efforts in more than 50 countries. PEPFAR continues to ensure access to life-saving services for all populations, including those most vulnerable and at-risk.
With this Strategy, PEPFAR support will assist countries in achieving epidemic control by 2020. In the context of controlling HIV/AIDS, epidemic control would be reached when the total number of new HIV infections falls below the total number of deaths from all causes amongst HIV-infected individuals.
Pathway to reaching epidemic control
PEPFAR’s Epidemic Control Strategy focuses and aligns U.S. government resources and activities toward achieving epidemic control and ultimately ending the HIV/AIDS pandemic by emphasizing the following action steps:
- Accelerating optimized HIV testing and treatment strategies, particularly to reach men under age 35. This is important as we know that more than half of men under age 35 do not know their status and are not on treatment, which is fueling the epidemic in young women aged 15-24 and young men aged 25-35.
- Expanding HIV prevention, particularly for young women under age 25 and men under age 30 through the scale-up of innovative and successful DREAMS efforts (supporting girls to become Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored, and Safe women) and the expansion of voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) for boys and young men in targeted age bands.
- Using granular epidemiologic and cost data continuously to improve partner performance, and increase program impact and effectiveness.
- Engaging with faith-based organizations (FBOs) and the private sector to accelerate and improve efforts toward epidemic control.
- Strengthening policy and financial contributions by partner governments in the HIV/AIDS response.
PEPFAR Solutions Platform
The PEPFAR Solutions Platform is a user-friendly space to access and share data-driven implementation practices, across HIV programmatic areas and geographic regions, to drive achievement of HIV epidemic control.
There are 3 main components to the Platform:
1. Solutions: Impactful, data-proven implementing experiences that can serve as 'how to' guides for others.
2. Emerging Technologies: Forward-thinking, technological innovations or proposals that address an existing gap at the individual, HIV service delivery, or health systems level.
3. Tools: Evidence-based materials that facilitate or strengthen the fidelity of an intervention at the individual, HIV service delivery, or health systems level (e.g., SOPs, analytic spreadsheets, Job-Aids, decision trees, etc).
The knowledge and materials provided on the Platform are a direct result of U.S. government resources and activities addressing PEPFAR's Epidemic Control Strategy.